Founded in 1538, the University of Debrecen stands as one of Hungary's oldest institutions of higher learning. With over 29,000 students, it boasts a vibrant and diverse academic community that fosters a rich exchange of ideas. The university hosts more than 7,000 international students, representing 120+ countries, creating a truly global learning environment. Offering an impressive array of educational opportunities, the University of Debrecen provides over 23,600 courses spanning various disciplines.
Students have access to a wide range of programs, including 87 Bachelor's, 100 Master's, and 10 undivided, one-tier training programs. Medical programs at the university hold accreditation from the World Health Organization (WHO), the State Education Department (NY, USA), and medical councils from countries such as India, the UK, and the United Arab Emirates. The Hungarian Accreditation Committee's Recognition Status, awarded by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME), underscores the institution's commitment to rigorous medical education standards. In the QS World University Rankings, the University of Debrecen shines, securing a position within the top 250 in Agriculture and Forestry, as well as the top 300 in Medicine.
Why choose the University of Debrecen?
- Wide Range of Programs: 13 faculties offering 77 bachelor's, 91 master's, 6 undivided, and 26 teacher training courses, as well as 73 doctoral programs, including innovative fields like precision agricultural engineering and contemporary popular music training.
- Size and Diversity: With about 30,000 students, including over 7,000 international students from 133 countries, it's Hungary's largest provincial higher education institution.
- Accessible Location: Hungary's strategic location in the heart of Europe, as a member of the EU, makes it an ideal base to explore Europe.
- Debrecen: The largest city outside Budapest, Debrecen is a cultural, economic, and scientific center with over 200,000 inhabitants.
- Multidisciplinary Excellence: Cooperation among fourteen faculties ensures a leading role as a research and education institution in Eastern Hungary.
- Reputation: The university has received the highest degree of the Higher Education Qualification Prize, and its programs align with the European Qualifications Framework.
- International Recognition: Medical programs are accredited by organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO), making diplomas widely accepted globally.
Top Reasons To Study There
- Great Location in the Heart of Europe
- It Is the Oldest Continuously-Operating Institution of Higher Education in Hungary
- Great Scholarship Opportunities
- Medicine Is a Popular Field of Study in Hungary